Often, stripe fabric is avoided due to the fear of widening horizontal lines or the bold eye-catching nature of the graphic print. I’m here to tell you, however, that stripes are our friends.
1) Nothing is more classic. From Audrey Hepburn to Brigitte Bardot, they’ve stood the test of time.
2) They’re surprisingly versatile. Just ask J.Crew: They can be preppy or cozy, edgy or polished.
3) They are flattering. When used for good and not evil (guidelines below).
1) You can never go wrong with vertical lines. They’re lengthening and slimming, I promise.
2) Test out diagonals. Often forgotten, the diagonal stripe can add an interesting edge to any design. I was particularly inspired by this luxe poncho with what looks to be excitingly easy construction.
3) Get loose. Stripes get risky when they hug too tight, but loosely fitted sweaters and blouses like this have just the right cool and comfortable vibe.
4) Go with basic colors. If you fear a headache from your latest creation, stick to black-and-white, nautical navy or neutrals.
5) Have fun! Glam up a basic with unexpected embellishments like sequins for an evening-worthy result.
What do you think? Are you feeling inspired to take on a stripe fabric project? Odds are it’ll be something you can keep around for quite a while.