We’ve all seen it, animal print fabric can range from frightfully tacky to amazingly stylish. So what are the defining elements of success? How do we avoid Snooki and shoot for Heidi Klum? And how do we implement this into our next creations?
There are three rules for success: classy cuts, classy lengths and classy fits. Leopard print takes on a whole new personality when it’s in the form of a tight body-con dress versus a sleek sheath.
Here are five key things to keep in mind:
1. For dresses or skirts, choose patterns with hemlines no shorter than a few inches above the knee.
2. If you pick a stretchy fabric, allow some extra comfort room to avoid any cling.
3. Opt for sleeves—either cap, ¾ length, or full will make your dress or top office-to-cocktail appropriate.
4. Try draping! Elegantly draped, pleated or layered fabric automatically has a high-end feel.
5. Keep accessories in mind. Belts, statement necklaces, embellished purses and even tights have the power to up the style ante.
Here are some examples of supremely elegant animal print fabric in stores now:
So what’s the verdict, are you going to give the wild trend a go?